Match Report
Epsom College 1st VII vs  Surrey 7s
On: Wednesday, 11 Mar 2020
Venue: Away


Pool Matches
WON 33-21
vs St John’s School
WON 27-0 vs Eastbourne College
WON 48-5 vs Graveney School

Last 16
WON 19-17 vs St John’s

Quarter Final
WON 24-5 vs Eton College

Semi Final
WON 24-14 vs St Paul’s Catholic College

WON 14-5
vs Cranleigh School

For the second successive year the Senior VIIs squad won the prestigious Surrey School 7s competition, claiming victory over Cranleigh (14-5) in a repeat of last year’s final. Regarded as one of the toughest tournaments to win on the circuit, Epsom have now joined the likes of Millfield, Filton College and Wellington College as the only schools to have achieved back to back cup wins in the competition’s 38 year history, a truly outstanding achievement. The day started promisingly, with impressive wins in the group against St John's (33-21), Eastbourne (27-0) and Graveney School (48-5). This set up a last 16 match against pool opponents St John's, who qualified finishing as the best runner up. Having beaten them in their opening match, playing them second time around was always going to be different and it certainly proved to be. Epsom's first half performance was clinical, tries from Daniel Davies (C), Tom Lynagh (F) and Kitan Ojo (H) gave Epsom a 19-0 lead at half time. In the second half, St John's capitalised on Epsom's errors and got themselves back into the game, scoring three tries but converting only one, to make the score 19-17. With seconds left on the clock and down to 6 players, it needed an incredible try saving tackle from Jonny Haynes (G) to deny St John's their win and sneak Epsom through to another quarter final, where they were to face Eton. A comprehensive win (24-5) was followed up by an impressive semi final victory against St Paul's Catholic College (24-14), that saw Epsom through to their second successive final. Cranleigh had come through the other side of the draw, beating Clifton College in their semi final, to set up a repeat of last year's final. With both sides showing a real willingness to attack, it was Epsom's aggressive defence that determined the outcome of this game. Tries from Bryn Bradley (H) and Kitan Ojo (H), both converted by Tom Lynagh (F), was enough to seal victory for Epsom and see them retain the Surrey Cup and claim back to back titles. An incredible achievement from the squad led superbly by captain Makeen Alikhan (Rn) and vice captain George Addington (Rn).